Monday, September 27, 2010

tonights the night...

Jupiter is at it's closest since 1963! 



Around Midnight tonight it will be directly overhead. Earth will be passing between Jupiter and the Sun  It will be so bright that you don't need a sky map to find it.

Uranus will be also be making a very close appearance!

AWESOME!

Some of our neighbors are setting up a telescope so we can all take a peek.  We also have this app for our Droid phones from Sprint.  Called "Google sky map"  My kids love this app.  It is so cool, we just hold the phone up to Space and we can see constellations of stars, planets and much more.

Click here for the App.

5 comments:

{jane} said...

alrighty. it's 1am, i'm going to go turn off my home security system, sneak outside by myself {a little freaky} and peak at the sky...

i'll keep you posted about how impressed i am or not~

{jane} said...

ok, is it in the southern skies? i think i saw it, holy schinolly it's bright... very cool. wish i had a neighbors telescope! ;)

EuroScan said...

I seriously have to get that on my phone! You're hilarious!

Jake Taylor said...

I am trying to refrain from making my favorite Junior High astronomy joke about Uranus making an appearance. ha ha!

Jenn Granum said...

I love how smart and scientific you are!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...